Senior Android Developer
If you are an experienced Android Engineer who can own the technical work related to maintaining and further evolving the Secret Escapes Android members-only app, then this journey may be a good fit for you.
You will be doing hands-on engineering work. You will also be responsible for driving and managing the technical collaboration, application architecture and tech debt for our Android app.
You will be part of a creative and collaborative process where we work together to experiment and innovate which helps our members on their journey of booking their next dream holiday!
About Secret Escapes
Secret Escapes is one of the world’s leading members-only, online travel deals companies, offering inspiring travel experiences and hand-picked offers to over 60 million members worldwide. Operating in 10 countries across Europe, Secret Escapes continues to grow and establish itself as a world-class business, dedicated to giving our members the best range and value in luxury travel deals at low prices.
Secret Escapes operates a flexible working policy and we are all in the office 1 day a week (minimum) and have core hours of 10am-4pm (you can make up the other hours to suit you). In keeping with being an inspirational travel brand, we also have a ‘Work from Anywhere’ policy, so you can work from anywhere in the world for up to a month each year!
We’re a diverse and inclusive bunch of individuals from different backgrounds and with varied interests, but the one thing we all have in common is that we’re good people (even if we do say so ourselves!).
Problems we are trying to solve
Some of the short-term goals you will impact
- Optimising the price visualisation of our deals
- Improving the user experience in crucial areas, such as sales
- Maximising marketing acquisition
Things you’ll be working on:
You will be working in our product squad No Doubt - the squad owning the Secret Escapes members’ iOS and Android applications. As an Android Engineer your will
- Take ownership of the technical work, tools, and process relevant to our Android app
- Become the guardian of our code base
- Manage application architecture in line with our technical vision
- Manage the technical improvement efforts for the Android app
- Help less experienced engineers grow
- Assist in app discovery activities
How the magic happens
We have a team culture that puts people at the centre. We enjoy the flexibility of working core hours, either fully remote or in a hybrid home/office pattern, but we take every opportunity to get together and collaborate. As part of our team culture we promote continual learning and growth and have a training and development budget which can be used for conferences or attending development courses.
The deal breakers:
Core technical skills, i.e. must-have skills:
- Architecture patterns
- Knows and has practical experience with MVI
- Knows also MVVM as some people call MVI also MVVM+
- Can compare both MVI and MVVM with other architecture patterns
- Experience and knowledge of Clean architecture
- Experience with SOLID principles relevant to Object Oriented Programming (OOP)
- Dependency injection (especially Hilt)
- Adept at Unit tests
- Experience with Instrumented tests (Robolectric)
- Android studio tools
- Functional programming
- Composite pattern
- Material 2
- Deep understanding of coroutines
- Room DB
- Behavioural, architectural, and foundation components in Jetpack
- Gradle and multi-module management
- Performance management - measurement and troubleshooting
Nice-to-have/optional technical skills:
- Jetpack UI components (Compose first on the list)
- Material 3
- Data store
- Version catalog
And you are…
- Obsessed with providing the best user experience and have a good eye for good design (UI and UX)
- You are passionate about writing well structured, readable, testable (example Unit, UI tests) and maintainable code.
- Comfortable with doing code review of others, highlighting any major issues with bugs, UI/UX, architecture. And you are willing to share your experience and learn from others.
- Delivering high quality work on time and commitment
- Able to communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences