Mid Level Software Engineer (2 hires)
This role works closely with product and testing to deliver effective front end (mostly) and backend technology for our mobile application and platform. Our app helps children get back to playtime quicker after hospital visits.
This role is invaluable in accomplishing Little Journey’s vision of supporting all children to better health through personalised care.
Our software engineers develop engaging applications that make children’s, parents and clinicians lives better. Our products therefore need to be fun, safe and enable personalised care.
You will work on a variety of projects, for both mobile as platform applications. Our clients and partners range from hospitals to large pharmaceutical companies and leading enterprises like LEGO.
You will write product (mostly front end) or system code; Participate in product, design and QA meetings to ensure smooth processes; Collaborate with other developers and review each other's work; Improve our code based on user feedback, and suggest better ways whenever possible
To help more children, we need to implement our technology into as many hospitals as possible, support most healthcare procedures and reach our mission of supporting 1 million children in the process. In order to do this, our users need to love our app from the first moment they use it.
Your work ethic is defined by extreme ownership. You take responsibility for your results and work collaboratively with our team to inspire each other and learn to always remain at the forefront of innovation
The role reports into our Lead Developer.
How will we measure success for you?
- Ongoing metric: You consistently define how our architecture will be delivered and get this done in the most efficient way possible
- 6 months: You have been a key contributor to high quality code for some of our business-critical projects (key clients), delivered on budget and time
- 12 months: you have established a reputation for delivering excellent results and can push yourself to take on the most complex projects in the company
If you do an excellent job, and our key projects exceed expectations, there are great opportunities for you to gain the complexity of skillset that is the kick start to your senior engineering career. We work on various first-ever projects, valued at millions of pounds of revenue, it is a big opportunity to learn new skills.
- Excellent command of either frontend tech: React; TypeScript or at least 2 of these backend technologies: C#; .NET; MySQL
- Good command of a third language, so you can also pick up some additional frontend or backend work, depending on you strength
- You can effortlessly balance technical quality with pragmatic delivery
Desirable, but we can support:
- Good understanding of containerisation, having worked with Docker for example
- You can challenge your colleagues on how deliverables fit into the bigger picture and can be improved
- You can propose ways of designing sub sections of our overall architecture
Behaviours and values needed
- Extreme ownership – you love taking responsibility, share successes with the team and learn from mistakes
- Continuous learning – growth mindset and comfortable asking for feedback / help
- Addresses the most difficult problems head on with urgency
- Good at managing expectations / workload – you deliver what you promise
Our Tech stack
- React; Typescript; C#; .NET 5 (and above); Docker; MongoDB; Elasticsearch; Terraform; GitLab; Jira; Miro; Notion – we evolve over time and you will influence our stack
- Workplace pension scheme
- 25 days annual leave pro-rata (inclusive of public holidays)
- £500 annual training budget
- £200 home working budget
- Flexible working within core hours
- Friendly and collaborative team who value and respect each other
This is a home based role with monthly travel to either our London or Leeds offices but the successful candidate will be responsible for delivering all of our projects worldwide.
About Little Journey
Little Journey was founded in 2018 by Dr Chris Evans and Sophie Copley. As an anaesthetic doctor and father himself, Chris witnessed first-hand the distress experienced by children and families coming to hospital for surgery. Partnering with Sophie, an expert in human-centred product design, they created a prototype version of the Little Journey app to support children undergoing elective surgery.
Since then, the business has accelerated quickly, having been adopted in more than 100 healthcare organisations worldwide. We also partner with leading organisations such as LEGO and top tier pharmaceutical companies. They provide us global access to paediatric services and clinical research, helping us reach more children. We received investment from internationally leading VC funds and are using this to scale further into other markets. Our technology is already available in 16 languages and counting!
Our teams are grouped into Product, Technology, Delivery, Operations, Commercial and Science departments, and we are hiring talent across all these functions to help us achieve our mission.
Diversity & Inclusion
Something looks off?