Senior Frontend Engineer
Founded in 2013, Zapnito is a rapidly-growing, UK-based SaaS community platform built to showcase expertise. Innovative media companies, professional services firms, events businesses and other knowledge providers use the Zapnito platform to promote thought leadership, increase revenue, and build engagement and trust with their audiences. Customers include world-leading scientific publisher, Springer Nature, international associations like the OECD and B2B business leaders like Informa and RepTrak.
Zapnito is an enterprise grade knowledge sharing and community SaaS platform. It was built to connect trusted brands to their people. We help organisations at the intersection of intelligence and community to harness collective intelligence and build lasting connections.
Why work at Zapnito?
2023 will mark a rapid growth phase for Zapnito, offering an opportunity for you to work to your full potential and develop strategic and leadership skills as the company grows. At Zapnito we work in a fun environment, with hugely talented individuals.
Zapnito is looking for a talented, driven and ambitious Senior Software Engineer to join our growing frontend team. We are growing fast and need help to expand our expert community platform which includes content authoring, real time video, chat communication features, online learning and peer to peer networking tools.
The role is to be primarily focused on frontend development to implement new features and improve existing user interfaces of the platform by building efficient and reusable front-end components. Being a champion of the entire frontend UX/UI with a meticulous level of detail for great looking web apps. Alongside that, there’s a variety of interesting tasks ranging from page performance, bundle size optimisation, GraphQL rollout and Typescript modernisation.
Reporting into the CTO, you will work closely with Product and Customer Success to ensure that our existing and new product features meet both our roadmap requirements as well as customer demands. Squash bugs, improve features and roll out brand new features. Come join us to help ship Zapnito’s vision for the best community platform.
Experience & skills
- Experience working on a SaaS product or platform
- Experience with writing automated tests (e.g. Jest, Karma, Jasmine, Mocha, AVA, tape)
- Experience using Git in a professional/workplace environment
- Experience of, or a willingness to learn Typescript
- A solid understanding in core web and browser concepts (e.g. how the browser parses and constructs a web page)
- An understanding of functional CSS such as Tailwindcss
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
- GraphQL and Tailwindcss experience would be desirable
Key areas of focus
- Develop features and improvements to the platform in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
- Work with Product Management and other stakeholders (Backend, UX, etc.) to iterate on new features
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Consistently ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects
- Help improve the overall experience of our product through improving the quality of the Frontend features
- Help identify areas of improvements in the code base and help contribute to make it better
- Learn, collaborate, and teach other Frontend Engineers. Everyone can contribute something new to the team regardless of how long they’ve been in the industry
- Fix prioritised issues from the issue tracker. These are typically bugs listed in a Github issue with an attached severity and priority label
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance that have particular impact across your team
- Solve technical problems of high scope and complexity
- Exert influence on the overall vision and long-range goals of the frontend team. This could be technical and/or product focused
- Experience with performance and optimisation problems, particularly at large scale, and a demonstrated ability to diagnose and prevent these problems
- Help define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review
- Provide mentorship for Junior and Intermediate Engineers in your section to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers
- Consistently ship moderately sized features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects
- Work closely with the Zapnito Customer Support teams with troubleshooting and bug fixing where appropriate
Traits and behaviours
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- Excellent team and relationship building abilities, with both internal and external parties (engineers, business stakeholders, partners, etc.)
- Ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and maintain keen attention to detail
- Natural tendency to be positive, creative, and curious
- Team player who enjoys collaborating with others
- Genuine empathy toward customers and commitment to diving into the weeds on their challenges
- Strong leadership skills, including ability to influence cross-functional teams via diplomacy and tact
- Passionate dedication to your craft and desire to work with people who inspire you on a daily basis
- Excellence at collaborative problem solving whilst remaining sensitive and aware of customer needs and objectives
- An open character, transparent, reliable, involved
- A semi-autonomous way of working - diligently taking on the whole spirit of the work and working within the boundaries of the scope whilst delivering on the vision
- Ability to thrive in a remote organisation
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Fully remote
- Share option package
- 25 days' holiday (plus bank holidays)
- 5 days paid Family & Charity time leave
- A fun environment, in which you will work with hugely talented individuals
- Pension scheme
- Leading Maternity & Paternity leave
- GP on Demand 24/7
- Employee Assistance Programme
Something looks off?