Executive Assistant & Operations Lead (Maternity Cover)
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2024
Unlikely AI is a deep tech startup working to create a world where highly intelligent automated systems enable humanity to flourish and benefit us all. We are pioneering transformative technology aimed at making Artificial Intelligence more accurate, trustworthy and safe. Based in London, the company was founded by William Tunstall-Pedoe, best known for his key role in the creation of Alexa following the acquisition of his first start-up by Amazon in 2012.
This is a fixed-term maternity cover to start at the end of March. An interesting and busy role for a multi-talented EA with operations experience, to enable our CEO/Founder to work efficiently by supporting day-to-day business operations. A key member of the management team you will also be responsible for leading and executing projects, optimising operational processes and overseeing HR and Accounting duties to ensure smooth organisation and highest standards. You will supervise one direct report, our Team Assistant, closely collaborating with them on day-to-day operations.
We are looking for someone who is a quick and proactive problem solver, with excellent communication skills, high emotional intelligence and who likes to take ownership of projects. The role will be dynamic and at times demanding but will allow for the opportunity to learn new skills and gain experience in a rapidly scaling tech start-up environment.
Please see our Company Principles to understand the core things we value – in particular, we are looking for exceptional people who are willing to tackle some of the most difficult technical problems there are, in order to create something extraordinary with huge impact.
Role responsibilities include:
- High-volume inbox management and correspondence: managing the CEO’s Personal and Business inboxes, flagging priorities, responding on their behalf, and tracking deadlines.
- Extensive daily diary management using Google Calendar: accommodating to a changeable schedule and prioritising meetings.
- Arranging all internal and external meetings for the CEO and ensuring the CEO is briefed in advance of meetings, preparing presentations and documentation in advance.
- Ad hoc personal requests for the CEO including booking travel/accommodation/visas, reservations and appointments.
- Work closely with your direct report, our Team Assistant to ensure the smooth running of the office and day-to-day responsibilities.
- Organising and leading all social events inclusive of Christmas Party and Annual Offsite alongside our Team Assistant.
- Assisting with fundraising documents and keeping track of fundraising progress.
- Assist and liaise on HR & accounts duties, including; Benefits and payroll queries including monthly expense claims, assisting with recruitment and onboarding, drafting templates and issuing NDA’s. Ensuring sickness and leave are recorded according to company policy and monthly payroll and payment of invoices and assisting accountants with reconciliations
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience with a proactive mindset and hands-on approach.
- Highly trustworthy: must be able to handle and protect confidential information.
- Excellent organisational skills, high attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly effective in contributing to and running projects.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, work under pressure and manage multiple deadlines.
- HR experience, dealing with pastoral care for employees.
- Advanced in Microsoft Office and Google Workspace with the ability to learn new systems quickly.
Desirable but not required:
- Startup company experience
- Management experience for 1+ report
- Basic accounting experience
- Experience using Docusign, Slack and Xero
We are currently operating a hybrid scheme with a small office near Holborn tube station available to anyone who wants to work there. We also have occasional team days where everyone meets face to face and days where people work heads down from home, communicating with colleagues using Slack and Zoom.
We are committed to having a truly diverse team where everyone is encouraged to be their authentic selves. We, therefore, do not discriminate in employment based on gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, disability, age, marital status, medical history, parental status or genetic information. Having a broad mix of people helps us to be the best we can.