Skin + Me
Skin + Me is a technology-driven start-up with seriously big skin goals.
Our tech team builds all the software that power the business, including our ecommerce and retail systems, the internal tools used by our central business teams, and all the software that powers the manufacturing processes in our factory.
We’re looking for a Software Engineer to join our growing tech team. This is a hybrid working role with three days a week in our Paddington HQ (Mon, Tue, Fri) and two days remote.
About the role:
As a Software Engineer you’ll be part of our agile tech team, supporting each other to build amazing systems as we embark on our next stage of growth. You’ll work closely with our product, design and business team to build solutions that bring about life-changing outcomes for our customers.
The successful candidate will also enjoy working collaboratively and autonomously, and will consistently seek out ways to overcome challenges and obstacles.
What you'll do:
- As a Software Engineer, you will
- Work collaboratively with the other members of the tech team to build high-impact solutions.
- Champion best practices to deliver well-tested, robust software that always delivers.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of our systems’ architecture.
- Work closely with product, design and business owners to solve problems, test hypotheses, and develop new features for our customers.
- Work across our whole tech stack, including backend, frontend, and infrastructure.
Who you are:
- Command of Python and its web development frameworks, for example: Flask, Bottle, Django.
- Experience working with relational databases (preferably MySQL) and ORM frameworks (SQLAlchemy and Alembic).
- A strong understanding of software engineering fundamentals: version control (git), OOP, type systems, unit and integration testing.
- You have the ability to learn effectively and autonomously; find, evaluate and use potential tools and solutions; contribute to the fast-paced business environment; and share knowledge and best practices with your team.
- Experience with TypeScript, React and / or Next.js.
- Experiencing building frontend design systems.
- Experience with containerisation (preferably Docker).
- Any public cloud experience, preferably AWS.
- A solid understanding of modern web system architecture.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial nature.
- You’re resourceful and you consistently seek out ways to overcome challenges and obstacles.
Why should you choose Skin + Me?
- A daily challenge – in a technology-driven, entrepreneurial, start-up environment, where no two days will ever be the same.
- Make a difference – work within a revolutionary company that is focused on improving millions of lives.
- Serious commitment to growth – personal development is important to us and we’ll make sure we support your growth, and give you broad experience across your role.
- Significant equity – potentially life-changing value if you commit to our long-term mission.
- Support network – the Skin + Me investors and advisors that you’ll have the opportunity to work with have built some of the world’s best consumer companies.
- 25 Days Holiday (+ all the usual Bank Holidays) – It's important to take a break and recharge, that's why we offer a generous holiday allowance
- Free Breakfast & Lunch – It’s important you are well fueled for the day so we've got your breakfast and lunch covered. Plus drinks and snacks are available too!
- Hybrid working to give you flexibility – We are all remote on Wednesday and Thursday. When we are in the office on Monday, Tuesday and Friday our core hours are 10-4. If you're an early bird you can do 7-4, and if you're a night owl 10-7 is fine too. Need more flexibility around your life – just let us know.
- Equity – We offer a competitive salary and a generous share award package that means every employee has a stake in the business. We really are all in this together
- Health and wellbeing focus – We offer a healthcare cash plan, cycle to work schemes plus free healthy breakfast and lunch in the office. We'll be sure to always prioritise your physical and mental health.
- £500 annual development budget for any learning, training and development opportunities. Courses, books, software – if it helps you in your role, we’ll help you get it.
- For working parents, we’re proud to offer assistance, helping you save on nursery fees. The workplace nursery benefit allows you to save tax and National Insurance on the full cost of your nursery fees each month.
- Culture club – Our culture club team meets every week to make sure we celebrate our big wins and milestones too, with parties, surprises and more.
- You’ll get highly discounted Skin + Me products for you, and 10 friends + family too.
- Generous employee referral scheme, if you know more fabulous people refer them to work with us too and you’ll get a bonus when they pass probation.
- Dog-friendly office with two very cute resident dogs!
More about Skin + Me
There’s a huge problem in the world of skincare: people struggle with more than just how their skin looks. They also worry about how it makes them feel and how to manage it long-term. We’re on a mission to change that.
The truth is that achieving your best skin isn’t complicated. The secret? Using a stripped back routine with the best combination of active ingredients for your skin goals. The right products and knowledge make it possible to tackle everything from fine lines and wrinkles to adult acne, rosacea and pigmentation. We’re united in the belief that everyone should have access to expert advice, treatment plans and ingredients that work – minus the big price tag and the long dermatologist waitlist.
Skin + Me is a mission-driven start-up, building a pioneering online dermatology service powered by experts. We take customers through a simple online medical consultation and our prescribers formulate custom treatments that can’t be bought on the high street. Each one is personalised to the individual’s skin goals. It arrives in their letterbox each month and evolves alongside their skin – because everyone’s skin is different and no two journeys are the same.
Skin + Me recently secured £10 million in a series B funding round, reflecting the growing interest in expert-approved skincare. We’ve raised funding from some of the best-known direct-to-consumer entrepreneurs and VCs, including Octopus Ventures. Our highly experienced founding team comes from the likes of Facebook, Charlotte Tilbury, Tails.com and Graze.com.
Our journey has just begun and we’d love for you to join us as we change the face of skincare! Think you’re up for the challenge?