Senior Big Data Engineer
PeakData is a Swiss-based AI startup on a mission to help patients receive the best treatment available. We help pharmaceutical companies enhance the effectiveness of their commercial and medical efforts by helping identify and engage the right healthcare professionals at the right time.
We are looking for skilled engineers to develop creative solutions answering the key business questions our clients have. One of our main challenges is obtaining real-time insights from publicly available data sources such as social media, open web, research and medical publications, and many others. For this role, we are looking for an experienced data engineer to help us scale our data products and work on challenging tasks from data extraction to data processing and data insight.
- Work on designing and building data intensive applications based on the AWS reference Serverless Data Lake Architecture.
- Work on a very interesting and innovative data product which includes ingestion of real-world web data at scale and expanding use of AI/ML models.
- Shape and scale data pipelines and architecture of our data platform (on AWS).
- Optimize the performance of large-scale data processing pipelines.
- Develop and automate new ways of processing data from a variety of sources.
- Develop tools and solutions enabling our stakeholders to monitor and improve data and product quality.
- Support more junior engineers by providing them with coaching and mentoring.
- Apply engineering best practices and improve our engineering excellence.
- 5+ years industry experience.
- Good proficiency in Python.
- Solid foundations and experience with Data Engineering and preferably Big Data.
- Solid practical experience in building, debugging, and monitoring (DataOps mindset) data pipelines and data services.
- Experience with AWS ecosystem, and especially in building modern data lake/mesh solutions in AWS (e.g. S3, Glue, Athena, LakeFormation).
- Pragmatism - you know when to apply the right technology at the right time.
- Good communication skills - you make your voice heard among the team and the wider tech organization and engage with our stakeholders to enable them and listen to their needs.
- An entrepreneur’s mindset. You can deal with ambiguity and help identify new opportunities and required improvements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English).
Bonus points if you:
- Have experience with building scalable Serverless solutions using Lambdas, Glue and Step Functions on AWS.
- Prior experience with the Apache Hadoop stack (Hadoop/Spark/Hive etc.)
- Are proficient with infrastructure-as-a-code (IAAC) solutions (eg. Terraform).
- Have familiarity with Docker, Argo, and Kubernetes.
- Have familiarity with SQL and No-SQL databases.
- Have familiarity with Elasticsearch and Graph databases.
- Have knowledge of NLP or other machine learning concepts including working in an MLOps capacity.
- Have previous experience working remotely.
- Have previous experience in pharma.
- Competitive salary.
- An opportunity to be exposed to the Pharma industry.
- To be part of an industry leading Pharma startup.
- To work on a life changing product – make a real impact.
- Experience at a tech scaleup and to help shape the company's future.
- A highly professional and innovative environment.
- A flexible working environment.