Staff Firmware Engineer
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
We are building a small team of versatile and enthusiastic leaders to create new products for the PlayStation community. Our team recently delivered the new PlayStation Link, PULSE Explore and PULSE Elite products, and are hard at work on what comes next. We need an experienced and innovative embedded firmware leader to guide the team forward and build our next generation systems.
Come and play with us!
In this role, you are responsible for overall firmware architecture, design, implementation, build and test for high profile product development efforts. You are the go-to person for the most complex development, performance, and debug challenges.
- Own the firmware for our embedded devices from concept to shipping.
- Collaborate with internal HW, SW and UX teams to establish requirements, and then own those requirements through the product lifecycle.
- Implement and drive modern software development processes.
- Develop software and hardware test infrastructure to support detailed testing and rapid iteration.
- Manage external and internal developers and quality engineers to deliver on our ambitious goals.
- Experience with embedded software design and programming in C/C++for development, debugging, testing and performance analysis.
- Experience with ARM microcontrollers and low power system design, preferably including wireless products.
- Experience implementing automated and hardware in the loop testing.
- Engaged at both the strategic product design level (what should it do?) and the detailed engineering level (how should it be built?)
- Effective working within a small team with broad responsibility
- Exceptional ability to debug complex system-level issues.
- 10+ years of experience in embedded software development in C/C++
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related engineering field, or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated ability leading embedded firmware development for consumer products.
- Experience in the video game industry is not required, but interest and passion for the gaming experience, digital entertainment, consumer electronics, and technology is vital.
- Small team environment; feels like a start-up within a large organization!
- Travel (domestic and international) required. Estimated 15%
Please refer to our Candidate Privacy Notice for more information about how we process your personal information, and your data protection rights.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.