Sr Business Manager
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
PlayStation Productions is our in-house production team specializing in adapting video game properties into compelling film and television projects. With a focus on delivering high-quality adaptations that stay true to the essence of our games, we are seeking an individual experienced in Business Development to join our team and play a crucial role in the negotiation and execution of sophisticated deals.
This position will be responsible for managing and negotiating a wide range of business agreements to bring PlayStation’s beloved video game universes to life on the big and small screens. The role will require a deep understanding of entertainment business models, development processes, licensing intricacies, and related agreements. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability to provide strategic business advice and risk analyses to partners and effectively negotiate and interact with agents, attorneys, and studio executives as well as liaising/interfacing internally within Sony Interactive Entertainment with intellectual property creators, including gaming studio executives.
This role is located in Culver City, CA and report to the Business Development Director. LA remote positions shall be considered.
- Provide general business counsel and support to the PlayStation Productions team, including business strategies, deal structure, rights and obligations, and other issues related to development and licensing of film and television projects.
- Define deal structures, provide understanding and insight on valuations and value drivers for business models, and negotiate all aspects for film, television, and special entertainment projects, including writer, producer, attachment, option/purchase and licensing deals.
- Work closely with the legal team on contract terms and language negotiations, and consult with and provide regular reports to partners, including game studios, creative, finance, marketing, and licensing teams throughout the lifecycle of each project.
- Review, understand, and determine business risk exposure with internal stakeholders while setting out next steps to mitigate or remove such risk.
- Liaise with PlayStation Studios IP creators and provide advice on industry models and business context and keep PlayStation Studios IP creators informed about developments on relevant projects
- Build and nurture relationships with PlayStation’s key internal and external partners.
- Stay up to date with industry developments, emerging trends, and new technologies relevant to the entertainment industry.
- Requires domestic and international travel.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science.
- 10+ years of business development experience at a production company, studio, television network, or streaming service.
- Demonstrated track record of successful deal negotiations, with a strong understanding of entertainment industry customs, practices, and business models.
- Ability to think flexibly and creatively to tackle business problems.
- Working knowledge of intellectual property, entertainment deals, and licensing principles.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Enthusiasm for video games and experience in live events and concerts is a plus.
Please refer to our Candidate Privacy Notice for more information about how we process your personal information, and your data protection rights.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.