Director, Software Engineering
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
At SIE, our PSN platform is a critical business asset that facilitates business operations, empowers decision-making, and provides crucial insights into opportunities for improvement of PlayStation products and services. With over 100 million monthly active users, 47 million active subscribers and 15 million daily concurrent users, every day is an opportunity to learn, grow and innovate! With exponential data growth brought on by PlayStation’s success, leading this organization provides a unique set of challenges and huge opportunities.
As the leader of this organization, you are responsible for championing a vision that aligns with, and further enables SIE’s tremendous growth and engaging entertainment experiences. Your key areas of responsibility will include building and operating applications and services for PlayStation’s Game Creators and Publishing Partners by driving continuous evolution and improvement of our engineering capabilities. This highly collaborative leadership role includes working across multiple globally distributed engineering teams to understand the requirements and deliver extensible capabilities to support the growing business needs and rapidly growing customer base. This position requires partnering across product management, architects, engineering, quality, and operations. You will bring extensive technical expertise coupled with ingenuity, continuous integration and continuous delivery platform domain expertise, performance engineering, and associated technology product knowledge. Broad industry knowledge, strong customer empathy, and excellent team building skills are a must. We are looking for a Leader with a focus on operational excellence, and passion that is contagious.
- Attracts and empowers highly engaged, passionate, diverse, driven leaders to lead and inspire our engineering teams.
- Leads and enables teams of Engineering Managers, Software Engineers, and Technical Program Managers to deliver highly available, scalable, and performant services in the cloud.
- Showcases steadfast ownership of outcomes and enablement for their teams
- Role model for customer insight and focused delivery for both internal and external customers
- Energetically, passionately, and successfully works across organizational boundaries, collaborating to deliver amazing platform capabilities.
- Experienced operational leader that drives operational excellence and continuous improvement within their team and across the organization.
- Builds and champions agile engineering capabilities and quality engineering practices.
- Demonstrates leadership and expertise by building, operating, and optimizing automated self-service capabilities at enterprise scale.
- Performs a key leadership role in the technology transformation of the existing capabilities and innovation of new capabilities supporting business growth
- Leads and delivers results against the platform strategy roadmap for the enterprise. This includes setting vision, gathering requirements, gaining business consensus, performing vendor and product evaluations, mentoring business and development resources, and delivering solutions.
- Participates in product roadmap discussions, identifies key areas for improvement in the product and incorporate these goals into ongoing & future development initiatives
- BS or MS degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience. MS in CS or IS preferred with emphasis on data science, architecture and modeling or database design.
- Extensive recent experience with technology transformation, specifically designing, implementing, and operating automated, self-service solutions in AWS.
- 10+ years’ experience required in delivering enterprise scale solutions in support of on-line, secure, scalable, resilient software as a service delivery required.
- 7+ years of leading, inspiring, and growing engaged Software Engineering and Operations teams.
- Experience managing people managers
- Experience leading teams in researching new and emerging technologies to realize potential value, business fit, operations, and cost efficiencies of implementing such technologies is vital.
- Extensive experience with agile development methodologies and processes required
- Must possess the drive and passion for technology leadership with the ability to excite, mentor, and empower team members in various roles in the organization
- Must possess outstanding verbal and written communication skills and be able to work with others at all levels; effective at working with geographically remote and culturally diverse teams.
- Deep Program Management Experience
- AWS Services (SNS, SQS, Lambda)
- Microservices and Micro Frontends
- Serverless Experience
- DevOps Experience
Please refer to our Candidate Privacy Notice for more information about how we process your personal information, and your data protection rights.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.