Corporate Counsel, Privacy & Data
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Corporate Counsel, Privacy & Data
San Mateo, CA or Los Angeles, CA (collab) *will require onsite work, 1-2x per week.
At Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC (“SIE”), the privacy and data law team are passionate about solving one captivating, sophisticated problem: how to optimally mitigate the legal risk arising from data, while empowering the business to deliver an outstanding customer experience.
Our approach derives from the insight that this problem, and thus its solution, is not limited to the traditional bounds of privacy or compliance. Rather, we understand data risks in the context of the technology, organization, and products and services through which the data flows and work with each business unit to develop and implement solutions tailored to their operations. To carry this out, our team approaches problems systematically, creatively, deeply and broadly. Our team members must be curious, and unafraid of technical, organizational, and legal challenges.
We are offering this opportunity to play a role by helping develop and drive data law strategy into an international and best-in-class business in video games, digital entertainment, and technology; Work on cutting edge-technologies such as interactive entertainment, content streaming, and virtual reality; Counsel game and product teams on development games and of the PlayStation® Network, a platform of over 110 million users worldwide.
The candidate profile:
- You are intellectually curious about the legal and policy issues emerging from information science and technology developments.
- You don’t mind getting into the details (and hopefully enjoy) determining how data is a part of everything these days.
- You consider implementation as important as conception and measure your own success by how well your work product optimally mitigates risk, while minimizing negative impact to the user experience.
What we're looking for:
- At least 5 years of Privacy and Information Security law. (Records Retention, Data Deletion or Destruction, Wiretapping/Monitoring, or Data Transfer law would also be useful).
- Experience with US law is a requirement; Experience with global data law is a significant plus.
- Knowledge of game privacy issues (friends, family, identity), the characteristics of data/information and its lifecycle; and data governance.
- Strong analytical ability and excellent judgment.
- Practical, self-motivated, and resilient.
- Able to establish relationships and consensus among cross-functional and cross-level groups and bring initiatives to conclusion.
- Membership in a state bar required (California, preferred), and eligibility for and acceptance as California Registered In-House Counsel
- Language skills, particularly Spanish, Japanese, or Portuguese desirable.
What you'll be doing:
- Review business activities that collect, use, share, or dispose of data for compliance with law, policy, and best practices.
- Draft consumer notices, intra-company agreements and contract terms, and negotiate data-related contract provisions.
- Develop standardized policies, tools and processes, and implement them (in conjunction with InfoSec, Data Governance, etc.) into operations to mitigate data processing legal risks and reduce the volume of one-off reviews.
- Develop and maintain expertise in data law; Develop training materials.
Please refer to our Candidate Privacy Notice for more information about how we process your personal information, and your data protection rights.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.