Internship: Mobile Robot Traffic Patterns Quality Assurance
Intrinsic is Alphabet’s bet aiming to reimagine the potential of industrial robotics. Our team believes that advances in AI, perception and simulation will redefine what’s possible for industrial robotics in the near future – with software and data at the core.
Our mission is to make industrial robotics intelligent, accessible, and usable for millions more businesses, entrepreneurs, and developers. We are a dynamic team of engineers, roboticists, designers, and technologists who are passionate about unlocking the creative and economic potential of industrial robotics.
Advances in mobile robotics are allowing society to bring automation out of the factories and into our everyday lives. However, it won’t be possible to deploy many mobile robots into the real world unless they can reliably figure out how to get around each other without deadlocking. Your role would be to test tools that aim to solve this problem. Design difficult scenarios to challenge the algorithms, find edge cases that cause problems, and identify how to improve the human usability of the software tools. Ambitious candidates will have opportunities to contribute to our Rust language codebase.
This will be a 12 week internship located in our Singapore office.
How your work moves the mission forward
- Contribute to a world-wide open source software project
- Identify shortcomings in robot traffic algorithms before they have a chance to cause problems in the real world
- Drive us towards a better human user experience by improving the UI of our world editing and simulation tools
- Create example scenarios that can provide valuable guidance to our global community of users
- Write user guides that will help make our open source software—and all its capabilities—more accessible
- Contribute to a 3D world editor and mobile robot simulation engine written in Rust
- Benchmark different motion planning algorithms and configurations to advance the community’s knowledge of what is most effective in which scenarios
Skills you will need to be successful
- Bachelor’s student in a field related to robotics, such as Computer Science (Master's students preferred)
- A good understanding of graph search and ideally a basic understanding of motion planning (e.g. RRT and PRM)
- Familiarity with the Rust programming language, or else proficiency in a similar language like C++
- Some experience with using Computer Aided Design programs (e.g. Blender, Solidworks, Autodesk)
- Ability to design intuitive user interfaces that make challenging technical concepts more accessible
- High standards for the quality of user interfaces—commanding around robots should be fun!
- Nice to have: direct experience with mobile robot platforms and navigation
At Intrinsic, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.