Life at Elvie; Meaningful work, Exceptional People
We're Elvie. We create smart products, new solutions, and a fair few taboo-busting conversations while we’re at it. Founded by Tania Boler in 2013, we develop extraordinary innovations designed to improve women’s lives. It's a fascinating and challenging area that requires us to solve problems that no one else has ever tackled before.
At Elvie, you’ll be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them. People who are passionate about our mission. People who are driven to solve problems and constantly consider the best ways to improve the health and wellbeing of women.
We're deeply proud of our values, which are intrinsic to the way we behave every day. We take them seriously because we want our culture to thrive:
- We make an impact: We’re mission-driven and not afraid to break boundaries. We relentlessly focus on going the extra mile to solve problems.
- We’re fearless innovators: We are passionate, curious, and data-driven. We continuously embrace change and innovation.
- We’re in it together: we fail and learn fast — always as one team — and have fun along the way. We stay authentic and embrace our differences.
Did you know?
In some regions our amazing products are considered to be medical devices. This means we maintain our Medical Device quality management system in compliance with ISO 13485:2016, to support the development of our groundbreaking products
About the role:
To continue our trajectory of growth and innovation, we are seeking a proven and highly skilled Tech Director to lead and shape our newly formed, cross-functional team.
As Tech Director, your role sits within the Product team and reports to the Chief Product Officer. You will be setting up a new Tech function within Elvie and will be responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive technical strategy that aligns with the company’s overall business objectives and growth plans for connected medical devices.
As the Tech Director you will play a pivotal role in driving software based technological innovation for our connected consumer medical products. You will ensure the seamless integration of various technical disciplines and build a high-performing, results driven team.
Location: Hybrid working; a mix of working from our Bristol or London office & working remotely
Employment type: Permanent (note, you must have the right to work in the UK)
What you’ll be doing at Elvie:
Technical Product Strategy:
- Overall accountability for technical delivery timing, quality, processes, methodologies, and tools used by your teams to develop connected products, platform and our ecosystem roadmap.
- Partnering with the Product Delivery Director and working closely with the rest of the Product Leadership Team - Research Engineering, Product Management, New Product innovation and Quality to ensure we deliver compelling scalable connected products on time.
- Provide Leadership to your Engineering Leads to balance reducing technical debt, create extensibility, scalability, supportability, with new feature delivery and delivering our long term architectural vision
- Act as thought leader in our business to identify technology trends, opportunities and understanding are understood and opportunities and support colleagues and peers on our digital transformation journey
- Work with Product leaders to support the continuous improvement and reliability of our existing products to meet the user and business needs.
- Help drive release quality management process efficiencies.
- Work collaboratively with the IT and BI function to drive effectiveness and efficiency across infrastructure, web and 3P cloud platforms.
Technical Team Leadership:
- Provide Leadership and direction to your multidisciplinary team Leads in Electronics Engineering, Embedded Software, QA and Software Engineering and Data Science, fostering collaboration and synergy across these functions for connected consumer medical products.
- Responsible for recruiting and establishing an in house Mobile app development team.
- Ensure teams follow best practices regarding coding standards, code reviews, and testing (including unit, integration, and system test)
- Implement and report on technical KPIs to drive quality, speed and excellence.
- Build and maintain systems in a way that ensures compliance with certification, regulatory standards, and a technology-based information security.
- Ensure product architecture and implementations are highly scalable, extensible with superior performance.
- Working with your Team Leads to highlight gaps, overlaps and dependencies between crafts with your team and across the organisation.
What we are looking for:
- You will be able to demonstrate you have owned and designed technology strategy, with a focus on driving high technical standards within software and end-to-end delivery and operational support of complex platforms/connected products.
- Skills, tenacity and drive to evolve the way we work; as a scale up business we are looking for an experienced technical leader who challenges the status quo and can demonstrate strong change leadership within a technical function.
- Good knowledge of all Software Development, Dev Ops, Data, QA, Application development, Agile Delivery Management and Infrastructure for Customer facing consumer products
- Knowledge of Big Data, Streaming Analytics, AI, ML etc – to help build competitive technology
- Proven experience in technical leadership roles, with a track record of successfully managing cross-functional teams in the connected, consumer medical product domain.
- Previous experience of designing and delivering company technical strategy
- Proven track record developing and delivering connected hardware products - not just digital products.
- Strong experience running teams including Electronics Engineering, Embedded Software, Software Engineering and Mobile App Development.
- Proven track record delivering the in market evolution and roadmap for software roadmaps align to our connected hardware products
- End user focused, with experience of developing products for an end customer/user facing product.
- Ideally a minimum 5 years experience software aspect of connected devices: with solid experience of system architecture or mobile application development
- Ideally a minimum 2 years experience of in-market development and maintenance of a connected product.
- Director level responsibility for the above
- Exceptional strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- A results-oriented mindset with a focus on achieving business goals in the connected product field.
- Working knowledge of developing medical hardware products and medical software, awareness of relevant legislation and compliance requirements.
- Experience of technical leadership in a scale up, but ideally a start up too.
- Structured and scaled engineering organisations to cultivate a product-focused mindset.
- Worked closely with the C-Suite and investors, collaborating at a strategic level to ensure the technology and product are aligned to business goals.
- Experience with Flutter or similar cross-platform mobile app development frameworks.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical field, with a Master’s degree preferred.
If you are a visionary technical leader with a passion for innovation in connected medical products and a proven track record of building and leading high-performance software teams for connected products, we invite you to apply to join our team at Elvie and help us revolutionise women’s healthcare technology.
We're on an exceptional journey. And we can offer you a genuinely purpose-led career with a culture built on trust, autonomy, and flexibility. In addition, we'll give you:
- 9 Day Fortnight - for our full time employees we work 9 days every Fortnight with every other Friday as a non-working day for you to spend as you wish!
- Lots of flexibility: whether it’s working from home, doing the school run, or life admin, we understand that flexibility is essential, and we trust you to do the right thing for you and us
- Share options: we want everyone to have a stake in our success
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 8 extra life leave days; getting married, moving house, menopause or just things that you can’t put a label on that matter to you
- 5=10 leave: 10 days’ additional leave on your 5th and 10th years of service!
- £100 contribution to your home working set up to spend as you see fit
- An annual personal development allowance of £200 and unlimited access to our learning and development platform, Learnerbly
- Generous parental leave policies; maternity & adoption (16 weeks at full pay, then 8 weeks paid at 75% followed by 15 weeks at SMP rate.), paternity/partner (6 weeks at full pay to take at any point during the first year of your child’s life), shared parental leave
- Healthcare plans, life insurance, and an employee assistance program for you and your family
- A tax-efficient group pension scheme
- Group income protection; protect your salary if you get sick
- A free Elvie trainer for you to keep or give away when you join
- Generous employee and friends & family discounts on Elvie products
- Wellbeing support from YuLife and access to SmartHealth app with unlimited GP appointments for you and your family, plus various well-being initiatives throughout the year
- Lovely offices in great locations, with drinks and snacks provided, along with fun social events
What you can expect after you’ve applied:
A member of our recruitment team will reach out to you after they have reviewed your application. You must ensure your application is completed correctly, and we strongly encourage you to add a cover letter or note to let us know why Elvie’s the right fit for you. We do often receive a large number of applications for our roles, please don’t let visibility of this deter you from applying. We review and aim to respond to every application.
We would like to get to know you through your background, attitude, experience and understand your motivation to work with us. Our interview process varies depending on the position, but it typically looks like this:
- 30-minute video call with one of our recruiters
- 45-60 minute video call with the hiring manager
- 60 minute video interview + Task
- Interview with CEO and/or Exec team
This is an exciting time to join Elvie. You’ll have a voice, make an impact, and have the opportunity to mould your role. So be ready to learn, have fun, and be inspired by our passionate, talented team — and having a sense of humour helps too. 😉
Belonging at Elvie
At Elvie, we believe having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age.
If you need any support with your application, please get in contact with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0203 884 7223.