Design Engineer (Continuous Improvement) (10 month FTC)
Life at Elvie; Meaningful work, Exceptional People
We're Elvie. We create smart products, new solutions, and a fair few taboo-busting conversations while we’re at it. Founded by Tania Boler in 2013, we develop extraordinary innovations designed to improve women’s lives. It's a fascinating and challenging area that requires us to solve problems that no one else has ever tackled before.
At Elvie, you’ll be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them. People who are passionate about our mission. People who are driven to solve problems and constantly consider the best ways to improve the health and wellbeing of women.
We're deeply proud of our values, which are intrinsic to the way we behave every day. We take them seriously because we want our culture to thrive:
- We make an impact: We’re mission-driven and not afraid to break boundaries. We relentlessly focus on going the extra mile to solve problems.
- We’re fearless innovators: We are passionate, curious, and data-driven. We continuously embrace change and innovation.
- We’re in it together: we fail and learn fast — always as one team — and have fun along the way. We stay authentic and embrace our differences.
Did you know?
In some regions our amazing products are considered to be medical devices. This means we maintain our Medical Device quality management system in compliance with ISO 13485:2016, to support the development of our groundbreaking products
About the role:
Okay, we’ve waffled long enough. So let’s get to the good bit: You.
As a Design Engineer, your role sits within the Continuous Improvement Team who are responsible for maintaining in market products. Resolving user issues at the root cause, improving product profitability and supporting the continuation of products.
We are looking for someone who understands the needs and challenges of Quality, Customer Care, Manufacturing and/or Operations teams because working with such groups represents part of your professional experience. You have experience with a variety of mass production processes, gained through taking concept designs through to production.
You thrive at resolving intricate product problems that are constrained by multiple factors, breaking them down into logical steps that form a clear path. You are keen to understand issues at a fundamental level, and enjoy seeing projects through from initiation to completion. You strive to empathise with the end user, and to put their needs at the centre of what you do. You are mechanically inclined with an eye for elegant, usable products and are enthused by the idea of working in a company revolutionizing product markets.
You enjoy working hands-on and have plenty of experience hacking together proof-of-concept prototypes and test fixtures. If you are someone who enjoys taking responsibility for driving design enhancements, and thrives on getting their sleeves rolled up to deliver change through to production, we would love to hear from you.
Location: Hybrid working; a mix of working from our Bristol office & working remotely
Employment type: 10 month Fixed Term Contract (please note, you must have the right to work in the UK)
What you’ll be doing at Elvie:
- Work in the Research and Engineering team to solve real world problems by identifying and delivering product issue fixes and enhancements.
- Deliver changes through all stages of the design process from root cause investigation, project scoping, basic concepts and proof of principle rigs through to production representative prototypes, engineering builds, mass production, ECO creation, cut in and post-market surveillance.
- Apply sound engineering principles to technical problems.
- Build upon and apply your knowledge of production technology, materials and finishes to improve our current designs.
- Generate and review design and engineering documentation.
- Collaborate with a range of teams to develop game-changing products.
- Develop and complete verification and validation test plans.
- Demonstrate integrity in the way you work.
- Collaborate with a range of teams cross functionally to develop game-changing products.
What we are looking for:
- Degree in Product Design Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar.
- Product development industry experience.
- Experience with medical, electro-mechanical, wearable and/or smart product development.
- An appreciation of stakeholders involved in new product development.
- Experience modelling in 3D CAD (preferred Solidworks experience).
- Proven ability to manage small assemblies.
- Experience of rapid and manual prototyping.
- Effectively be able to work across teams with different stakeholders.
- You are a self starter with great visual and excellent verbal communication skills.
- The ability to empathise with users.
- Experience with product change control.
- Practical experience of performing data analysis on large data sets.
- Experience in liaising with Contract Manufacturers (or a willingness to learn).
- Prior use of product development tools such as FMEA, Tolerance Analysis, GD&T.
- And, in an ideal world, experience of designing medical devices and working in an ISO 13485 environment.
We're on an exceptional journey. And we can offer you a genuinely purpose-led career with a culture built on trust, autonomy, and flexibility. In addition, we'll give you:
- 9 Day Fortnight - for our full time employees we work 9 days every Fortnight with every other Friday as a non-working day for you to spend as you wish!
- Lots of flexibility: whether it’s working from home, doing the school run, or life admin, we understand that flexibility is essential, and we trust you to do the right thing for you and us
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 8 extra life leave days; getting married, moving house, menopause or just things that you can’t put a label on that matter to you
- £100 contribution to your home working set up to spend as you see fit
- An annual personal development allowance of £200 and unlimited access to our learning and development platform, Learnerbly
- Healthcare plans, life insurance, and an employee assistance program for you and your family
- A tax-efficient group pension scheme
- Group income protection; protect your salary if you get sick
- A free Elvie trainer for you to keep or give away when you join
- Generous employee and friends & family discounts on Elvie products
- Wellbeing support from YuLife and access to SmartHealth app with unlimited GP appointments for you and your family, plus various well-being initiatives throughout the year
- Lovely offices in great locations, with drinks and snacks provided, along with fun social events
What you can expect after you’ve applied:
A member of our recruitment team will reach out to you after they have reviewed your application. You must ensure your application is completed correctly, and we strongly encourage you to add a cover letter or note to let us know why Elvie’s the right fit for you. We do often receive a large number of applications for our roles, please don’t let visibility of this deter you from applying. We review and aim to respond to every application.
We would like to get to know you through your background, attitude, experience and understand your motivation to work with us. Our interview process varies depending on the position, but it typically looks like this:
- 30-minute video call with one of our recruiters
- 30-45 minute video call with the hiring manager
- 45-60 minute in person or video interview with the team (some positions may require you to complete a task/presentation)
- For some positions, there may be an additional interview with one of our senior leadership team
This is an exciting time to join Elvie. You’ll have a voice, make an impact, and have the opportunity to mould your role. So be ready to learn, have fun, and be inspired by our passionate, talented team — and having a sense of humour helps too. 😉
Belonging at Elvie
At Elvie, we believe having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age.
If you need any support with your application, please get in contact with us: email@example.com or 0203 884 7223.