Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer
The position: Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Life at Elvie; Meaningful work, Exceptional People
We're Elvie. We create smart products, new solutions, and a fair few taboo-busting conversations while we’re at it. Founded by Tania Boler in 2013, we develop extraordinary innovations designed to improve women’s lives. It's a fascinating and challenging area that requires us to solve problems that no one else has ever tackled before.
At Elvie, you’ll be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them. People who are passionate about our mission. People who are driven to solve problems and constantly consider the best ways to improve the health and wellbeing of women.
We're deeply proud of our values, which are intrinsic to the way we behave every day. We take them seriously because we want our culture to thrive:
- We make an impact: We’re mission-driven and not afraid to break boundaries. We relentlessly focus on going the extra mile to solve problems.
- We’re fearless innovators: We are passionate, curious, and data-driven. We continuously embrace change and innovation.
- We’re in it together: we fail and learn fast — always as one team — and have fun along the way. We stay authentic and embrace our differences.
Did you know?
In some regions our amazing products are considered to be medical devices. This means we maintain our Medical Device quality management system in compliance with ISO 13485:2016, to support the development of our groundbreaking products
About the role:
Okay, we’ve waffled long enough. So let’s get to the good bit: You.
As a Software QA Engineer you will be working within an agile Software Engineering team and will be supporting the delivery of quality software. You will be responsible for driving processes and strategies in the team and working closely with Software Engineers and Product Managers.
Location: Hybrid working; a mix of working from our London or Bristol office & working remotely
Employment type: Permanent (please note, you must have the right to work in the UK)
What you’ll be doing at Elvie:
- Incorporate test strategies throughout the software engineering process, ensuring the quality of our web, mobile and API software
- Collaborate with engineers, product and delivery managers, and designers to solve interesting and challenging problems for delivering scalable technology worldwide
- Liaise with internal teams to identify and clarify requirements and acceptance criteria to ensure they are met, raising relevant questions and deficiencies as early as possible.
- Create and maintain detailed and comprehensive test plans and test cases
- Raise issues and defects with the team and track them through to resolution
- Be a valued member of an autonomous, multidisciplinary agile team
- Explore and evaluate features right through the development process, from design to delivery (and beyond)
- Actively encourage the use of more technical testing such as automation, performance testing and security / pen testing
- Manage and improve the QA process across all aspects of the Software Engineer process.
- Ability to understand and identify right test approaches for the area e.g. exploratory, automated, scripted etc.
What we are looking for:
- You have previously lead (senior role) as QA and have at least 3 years previous experience in a testing role
- You have strong experience testing APIs and related tools, such as Postman
- You have extensive experience testing web and mobile UI
- You have experience of databases, such as MySQL
- Familiar with exploratory testing techniques
- A self-starter with an eagerness to learn new tools and skills
- You have experience with automated UI and API testing
- You possess clear and concise communication skills
- You have experience in working in an agile team
- You have an awareness and understanding of technical testing and best practises
- You are able to prepare test scenarios, test plans and execute test scripts
- A champion of automation with experience in establishing good testing practises in a CI/CD workflow
- Familiar with Git commands and related tooling
- Familiar with accessibility guidelines (WCAG) and test approaches
Other desirable qualities
● Commercial experience of functional and non-functional testing of both APIs and web-based applications
● Commercial experience of testing within an agile, continuous delivery-focused environment
● A detailed understanding of BDD and TDD approaches to testing and quality assurance
● Experience of maintaining an internal regression testing process to ensure quality of business functionality is preferred
● Experience working with application engineers to help them test functionality during the initial development process is preferred
● Experience of working with modern CI/CD and engineering tooling like CircleCI, GitHub Actions
● Must be attentive to detail, flexible and able to work concurrently on multiple projects
● Ability to troubleshoot, research, and work through complex problems
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Good interpersonal skills
● Any experience of connected product testing is a bonus
If you have an eye for details, know how to ensure the best quality and are a great teammate, this will make you a phenomenal match for this role! As our ideal candidate, you thrive in complexity and are able to navigate in a growing organisation.
The benefits you’ll get:
We're on an exceptional journey. And we can offer you a genuinely purpose-led career with a culture built on trust, autonomy, and flexibility. In addition, we'll give you:
- 9 Day Fortnight - for our full time employees we work 9 days every Fortnight with every other Friday as a non-working day for you to spend as you wish!
- Lots of flexibility: whether it’s working from home, doing the school run, or life admin, we understand that flexibility is essential, and we trust you to do the right thing for you and us
- Share options: we want everyone to have a stake in our success
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 8 extra life leave days; getting married, moving house, menopause or just things that you can’t put a label on that matter to you
- 5=10 leave: 10 days’ additional leave on your 5th and 10th years of service!
- £100 contribution to your home working set up to spend as you see fit
- An annual personal development allowance of £200 and unlimited access to our learning and development platform, Learnerbly
- Generous parental leave policies; maternity & adoption (16 weeks at full pay, then 8 weeks paid at 75% followed by 15 weeks at SMP rate.), paternity/partner (6 weeks at full pay to take at any point during the first year of your child’s life), shared parental leave
- Healthcare plans, life insurance, and an employee assistance program for you and your family
- A tax-efficient group pension scheme
- Group income protection; protect your salary if you get sick
- A free Elvie trainer for you to keep or give away when you join
- Generous employee and friends & family discounts on Elvie products
- Wellbeing support from YuLife and access to SmartHealth app with unlimited GP appointments for you and your family, plus various well-being initiatives throughout the year
- Lovely offices in great locations, with drinks and snacks provided, along with fun social events
What you can expect after you’ve applied:
A member of our recruitment team will reach out to you after they have reviewed your application. You must ensure your application is completed correctly, and we strongly encourage you to add a cover letter or note to let us know why Elvie’s the right fit for you. We do often receive a large number of applications for our roles, please don’t let visibility of this deter you from applying. We review and aim to respond to every application.
We would like to get to know you through your background, attitude, experience and understand your motivation to work with us. Our interview process varies depending on the position, but it typically looks like this:
- 30-minute video call with one of our recruiters
- 30-45 minute video call with the hiring manager
- 45-60 minute video interview with the team (some positions may require you to complete a task/presentation)
- For some positions, there may be an additional interview with one of our senior leadership team
This is an exciting time to join Elvie. You’ll have a voice, make an impact, and have the opportunity to mould your role. So be ready to learn, have fun, and be inspired by our passionate, talented team — and having a sense of humour helps too. 😉
Belonging at Elvie
At Elvie, we believe having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age.
If you need any support with your application, please get in contact with us: email@example.com or 0203 884 7223.