We’re looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to join our Data Engineering team to help build the UK’s best car buying and selling experience.
We launched our platform in 2019, built with a truly modern toolchain: a fully serverless event-driven architecture built primarily in TypeScript and Python with React on the front end. We have a Data Warehouse running on Redshift Serverless, with a lot of data processing done in DBT by our team of analysts, and a Data Lake in S3, powered by Glue. Cazoo takes pride in its world-class engineering culture and as Engineering Manager of one of our teams, you will play a key role in sustaining and driving our mission.
What you’ll be doing:
You will join the Data Engineering team, covering both Data Engineering and Machine Learning Ops. You will mainly be responsible for managing the engineering team, be accountable for delivering initiatives and driving the right technology choices. You will work closely with Data Scientists, Analysts, the architecture function and engineers from around the company to ensure the team output is aligned with the wider technical vision for Cazoo and prioritised to deliver value. Unlike most teams at Cazoo, this team does not currently have a Product Manager and it is part of the Engineering Manager’s job to help with prioritisation and decision making.
Cazoo embraces TDD, clean code and the values and practices of XP, DevSecOps and Software Craftsmanship including pair programming and a “you build it, you run it” mindset. You will create an environment in which your team can thrive, supporting this world-class engineering culture.
- You will be responsible for leading a team of Software / Data Engineers and work very closely with our Data Scientists and Analysts to make sure they have everything they need to succeed.
- You will be accountable for both predictable delivery and high-quality outcomes of your team and will measure the success of your team through the frequent delivery of high-quality code to production and fast pace of delivery.
- Using your technical background, you will understand the codebase and services your team works on and how they fit into the wider Cazoo picture. You will challenge decisions when they don’t seem right and facilitate technical decisions your team has to make. You’ll champion building and improving our engineering culture which may include hands-on support for your team.
- You will be responsible for the development of your team through coaching and mentoring, supported by compassionate but direct feedback. You will also be involved in hiring and will be a role model for the values of our organisation.
- You will champion the adoption and improvement of advanced modern, agile software development practices within your team.
Key skills and experience required:
- You have a strong technical background in Data Engineering, preferably in an Amazon Web Services setting with modern software development practices such as CI/CD, and you’ve been involved in running a Data Warehouse using technologies like Redshift
- You have a passion for working collaboratively with your peers in Data Science and Analytics
- You can demonstrate having worked in an environment which has strong engineering practices and principles such as TDD and pair programming and demonstrate how you have furthered the culture.
- You have a passion for developing others and have experience in managing, motivating, coaching and mentoring software developers, sometimes more experienced than yourself, towards delivering timely, high-quality software together as a team.
- You are effective at facilitating technical discussions in the team and confident in challenging approaches when they don’t seem right. You can demonstrate when you have helped someone further their development by giving difficult feedback.
- You have solid experience working in a modern agile environment.
- And last but certainly not least – someone with a sizeable appetite for learning and self-development, who prides themselves on being a valued member of the team!
What you’ll get from us:
- An opportunity to get involved with Machine Learning and learn the ropes if you’re new to it - we have a variety of serious use cases in production that are all business critical, and a phenomenally strong Data Science team for you to work with
- Joining a fast-moving company that is always adapting and innovating is a fantastic opportunity, giving you the chance to work with the latest technologies.
- Joining a self-organising team, with freedom to decide the most efficient way to work together and get the job done. Our teams and engineers do not work in silos, as such you will be given opportunities to use or develop skills outside of your core skill set too.
- Being an integral part of a team creating a highly visible and tangible product that’s seeking to change and replace what can often be a painful process in buying a car, that almost everyone must contend with at some point in their life.
- Last but not least, we foster a company culture that values its staff – as demonstrated by our generous benefits package.
We understand that your time is in demand and as such keep our interview process as quick and painless as possible, outlining all timeframes in advance for you to plan around.
The interview will be conducted over 3 stages, each being a remote video call using Google Meet:
- A scenario-based exercise – demonstrating how you would handle common Engineering Manager situations (75 mins)
- Management and culture - questions about managing people, delivery and your personal approach (75 mins)
- System design, technical practices & knowledge - a whiteboard task to design a system, and some questions around the sort of tech knowledge & working practices you’d need to understand in your day to day (60 mins)
Following this, we will give you a decision – and hopefully an offer – normally within 24 hours.
We are committed to ensuring accessibility in our interviews. From a physical disability standpoint, we have ensured our office is accessible but please do let us know if you have any issues or requests.
Similarly, we want to ensure neurodiverse candidates feel confident and comfortable with our interview process but appreciate there is not a ‘one size fits all’ approach to this. As such, please do let us know if you need any changes made to the interview process to accommodate yourself well.
Our London home is located a stone’s throw from Euston Station and close to Kings Cross, with tube stations on the Northern, Victoria, Piccadilly, Hammersmith & City and Circle lines all a short walk away.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusivity. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, sexual orientation, colour, religion, national origin, disability status or marital status.