Director of People
People & HR
Posted on Tuesday, January 9, 2024
Biofidelity is a revolutionary genomic technology company dedicated to unleashing the potential of genomics to transform human health and the world we live in. Our adaptive platform technology removes the noise from genomic data, providing only the information needed to make decision making less complex, faster, and more accurate.
At Biofidelity we are proud to have built a culture of humanity, openness and high expectations. We work towards well-defined goals, with a strong belief that we can make genomics globally accessible. Our people are keen to take responsibility for their work and share both their successes and challenges.
Alongside a competitive salary and opportunities for career development, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including private medical & dental care, bonus, share option scheme, pension, income protection and life insurance, cycle to work scheme, season ticket loan, 26 days per year holiday allowance and free physical training sessions.
Biofidelity is seeking an experienced Director of People to provide strategic leadership in people management and lead the People function. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Director of People will contribute to the development and execution of the business strategy, aligning people-related strategies with business objectives to create a high-performing culture and the best employee experience. This role reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
● Act as a role model and advocate for our organisational culture, values, and behaviours, developing strategies to amplify our culture throughout the organisation to in order to attract, engage, retain and develop talent
● Lead on organisational design & development to optimise the organisational structure, ensuring alignment with business goals; support leaders in forecasting and planning their talent pipeline requirements in line with the business strategy
● Design and implement talent development programs and initiatives to nurture employee growth and potential. Collaborate with managers to support career development and growth opportunities for all employees.
● Design and implement appropriate learning and development programs based on the training needs of the individual and organisation
● Facilitate senior leadership growth, providing coaching and fostering a high performance culture.
● Design and implement effective performance management processes across the organisation, supporting goal-setting and improvement plans. Provide coaching and mentoring to managers in effectively managing employee and team performance.
● Design and implement effective employee engagement and wellbeing initiatives to create a work environment that supports employees’ wellbeing and sense of belonging to the organisation
● Manage complex employee relations cases, such as disciplinary actions, grievances, investigations and conflict resolutions whilst also providing guidance and support to managers and teams in resolving ER issues.
● Strategic Reward Management:
- Develop and implement effective compensation and benefits programs, along with recognition and reward initiatives, ensuring alignment with industry standards and the evolving needs of employees.
- Effectively communicate the organisation's reward strategy to employees, fostering transparency regarding how rewards are determined.
- Take the lead in salary reviews, bonus pay, and other projects, overseeing their implementation and ensuring effective coordination with the Finance team.
- Lead the annual benefits renewal process in the UK and US. Collaborate with benefit providers to negotiate contracts, evaluate services, and ensure cost-effective and comprehensive benefits offerings. Develop and implement educational programs to help employees understand their benefit options, ensuring a smooth implementation process.
● Stay up-to-date with all relevant changes in employment law and legislation to ensure compliance with regulations, and keeping policies and procedures up-to-date.
● Oversee and provide guidance in development and implementation of policies in line with legislation and best practise
● Monitor key HR metrics and analyse data to identify trends, areas of improvement and develop actionable strategies to address them
● Oversee talent acquisition efforts to establish and reinforce a compelling company image and employment brand and foster innovation in the candidate experience; actively support with interviews as we build the team
● Lead the People team, provide expert guidance and share knowledge of progressive HR practices and key trends to facilitate continuous improvement.
● Work with the Finance team to support financial planning, take the lead on providing input for budgeting (hiring plans, training budgets) and maintaining schedules of organisational strategy plans to streamline updates to budgets.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
● Successful track record in delivering people strategies at a scaling business, ideally in life sciences
● Strong knowledge of employment law and HR best practice in the UK (essential), with additional preference for experience in the US
● Deep understanding of both strategic and operational aspects across all People/HR areas and willingness to be involved in the operational side of the role with great attention to detail
● Skilled in reward management, experienced in budget preparation, and adept at working directly with the Finance team
● Excellent communication skills, an empathetic approach, and the ability to anticipate different audience styles, finding mutually beneficial solutions across conflicting and sensitive issues
● Strong leadership, influencing and negotiation skills
● Cross-cultural awareness, ability to thrive in a small, dynamic and rapidly growing company environment
Requisite Education and Experience / Minimum Qualifications:
● Strong HR generalist background with proven leadership experience, ideally in life sciences
● Previous experience leading a People/HR team
● Proven coaching and mentoring skills, with a track record of developing and supporting the professional growth of team members
● Degree educated in the relevant field
● CIPD qualified (desired)