Senior Python Developer - Fixed Term Contract
Fixed term contract - rolling 1-month contract
Approximately 3-6 month project
Hybrid remote available - work at our office and customer sites when required
Automata is building a world-class company to disrupt the life science industry and empower scientists by making automation a reality for every lab.
We work with labs across the world to understand their specific workflows and needs and develop personalised solutions that range from diagnostic, and drug discovery to synthetic biology. This allows us to simplify common automation tasks, while also supporting more advanced paths for specialised workflows, in a fast, flexible, and cost-efficient way.
We are looking for a Senior Python Developer (FTC). This person will be a self-starting change-maker who takes ownership of the delivery of significant portions of our automation workflows.
Automata's LINQ platform empowers scientists by allowing them to integrate their instruments with a robotic manipulation platform to automate repetitive scientific processes. Our success engineers translate the science into an automation workflow and as a senior Python developer in the software delivery team, you will be responsible for working closely with them to write high-quality workflows in Python. Your code will enable reliable orchestration of the LINQ automation hardware.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Writing high-quality Python to control LINQ hardware as part of the automation of scientific workflows; designing and implementing significant portions of the workflows
- Working closely with Success Engineers to translate their automation steps into code
- Testing & debugging workflows on automation hardware
- Working at our London HQ or customer sites (UK-based or potentially abroad) as required
- Liaising progress and issues to project stakeholders (from Automata or our customers) with clarity
- Peer reviewing workflows of other Software or Success Engineers to ensure the team produces quality code
- Proactively working to improve common code reused between workflows
What it takes:
- Expert developer of modern, typed, Python with significant proven experience
- Good software design practises (e.g. creating clear and well-documented APIs)
- Experience with automated testing frameworks (preferably pytest)
- Comfortable with debugging software on Linux
- Experience working with Git and GitHub
- Ability to communicate clearly and with confidence
- A strong self-starting attitude, you love a challenge!
Nice to haves:
- Background in hardware automation and control
- Experience working with microcomputers (e.g. Raspberry Pi, Arduino)
- Knowledge of designing and implementing web APIs
- Knowledge of industrial automation protocols
- Familiarity with Docker
- Experience designing and implementing GUIs
- An interest in robotics and the life sciences
What gets us excited?
We’re passionate about the future of Technology and Automation and our growing success is built upon like-minded individuals who share our passion.
In this role, you have the chance to work in a cutting-edge automation industry. The software we create has a very real impact on people's lives: helping to speed up the development of new treatments for serious illnesses like cancer.
If this sounds like a good fit we'd love to chat to you about this opportunity to build something that immediately adds value to people's lives.