Posted on Friday, March 24, 2023
Unlikely AI is a deep tech startup working to create a world where highly intelligent automated systems enable humanity to flourish and benefit us all. We are pioneering transformative technology aimed at making Artificial Intelligence more accurate, trustworthy and safe. By taking a contrarian approach, we believe our technology can solve some of the most pressing problems facing the industry. Based in London, the company was founded by William Tunstall-Pedoe, best known for his key role in the creation of Alexa following the acquisition of his first start-up by Amazon in 2012.
The company has raised a large ($20m) seed round reflecting the excitement investors have in the technology, team and potential of the business. We are looking to build a world-class technology team to realise the extraordinary possibilities of what we are doing.
We are building an extremely exciting AI platform and associated applications using novel and potentially revolutionary techniques.
We are looking for an extremely smart and dedicated Principal Engineer to drive technical expertise, engineering best practices and solve significantly complex technical problems. You will be responsible for driving clarity, technical innovation and effectively influencing technology direction and decisions. This is an excellent opportunity to have a huge impact on shaping best in class engineering across the company in an individual contributor capacity.
- Extensive software engineering experience, with exceptional coding ability ideally including experience in high-growth start-ups.
- Ideally 5+ years of experience leading technical projects as an individual contributor, projects with mission critical impact, working cross-team and cross-organisation where required and executing on delivery.
- Demonstrable success in solving complex technical problems.
- Exceptional at providing feedback, and a strong mentor to others, able to educate on expertise.
- Demonstrable success in ensuring the highest quality of architecture and design of systems.
- Expert knowledge and experience of using architectural techniques to build massively-scalable systems - or systems which can become massively scalable.
- Expertise in best practices for agile software development.
- Ability and desire to learn new technologies quickly and work in a fast paced start-up environment.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
We are based in London. After two years of operating completely remotely during COVID we are now operating a hybrid regime where we have a small office near Holborn tube station which is available to anyone who wants to work there. We also have occasional team days where everyone meets face to face and days where people work heads down from home, communicating with colleagues using slack and zoom.
Compensation will be through salary and generous share options. The company has a tax-efficient EMI share option scheme set up (not available to larger companies) which allows us to provide real exposure to the success of the company without taxes being due when they are paid.
We are committed to having a truly diverse team where everyone is encouraged to be their authentic selves. We therefore do not discriminate in employment based on gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, disability, age, marital status, medical history, parental status or genetic information. Having a broad mix of people helps us to be the best we can.