Sr Environment Artist (Contract)
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
This is an opportunity to contribute to the artistic vision and development of a product with a specialized focus on creating environments and level assets.
As Senior Environment Artist, you will effectively collaborate with a wide range of development team members outside of their direct discipline, such as the Art Director, Designers, Technical Artists, Animators, Programmers and Producers, to optimally achieve artistic goals and implementation as they relate to design and technological considerations.
- A high-level contributor to the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to create environments within the studio - must be able to develop a comprehensive knowledge of the entire art production pipeline and all engine tools and systems associated with the creation of art assets and level layout
- Content creation, including 3D modeling/sculpting, 2D texture map painting, material setup/UV layout, and LOD creation according to defined quality standards, artistic styles, conceptual designs, development pipelines, technical parameters, and production goals
- Maintain the artistic direction and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release - this entails ensuring environment/level assets are of the highest artistic quality and upholding the integrity of the game's design and artistic vision of the game
- Skilled in level art workflow, including assembly, set dressing, lighting, and asset composition across levels
- Maintain a strong knowledge of the game’s design to support communication and enable early identification of issues, as well as help drive participation in discussions
- Take ownership of a specific region of the game environment and facilitate requests or info needs regarding any aspect of this environment/level art creation process as needed
- Mentoring artist who assists you in creating environments - this includes on-boarding new artists, giving timely feedback, and directing work duties
- Fully capable of resolving an assortment of moderately complex artistic development issues for both artists as well as other team members
- Scope and prioritize areas of ownership - collaborate with production to develop task list that meet overall project goals
- Clearly communicate updates and properly escalate concerns to the appropriate team member(s) and manager(s)
- Actively improves skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages, and traditional art methods
- Minimum five years industry experience or related experience
- Two or more published titles are considered a strength
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills - entails collaborating with Production group to develop task lists to ensure assignments are progressing in alignment with schedules, milestones and overall project goals
- Strong traditional fine art skills, training, and production experience (illustration, painting, organic forms, color theory, perspective, 2D & 3D design)
- Proficient in the use of Maya, (or other 3D modeling packages) Zbrush, Substance Designer, and Substance Painter
- Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to, workflow, tools, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture painting, particle systems, UV layout, in-game animation, material setup, layout, SFX and engine parameters/optimizations
- Excellent communication, organizational, time management, mentoring, and interpersonal skills
- Works under minimal direction to determine and develop approach to solutions
- B.A. in fine arts or relevant curriculum or equivalent skillset
- Houdini experience
- Previous leadership experience in games
Please refer to our Candidate Privacy Notice for more information about how we process your personal information, and your data protection rights.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.