Sr Combat Designer (Hero)
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
Santa Monica Studio is seeking a Sr Combat Designer to support hero designs from concept to implementation completion.
In this role you will assist, collaborate with, and take direction from the Lead Combat Designer, Lead Hero Designer, and Directors. You will work with multiple disciplines including Engineering, Animation, Art, Encounters, etc. in ensuring that characters are cohesively executed in game. Applicants are expected to be able to drive features forward by representing them with confidence and knowledge, and keep all feature stakeholders well informed, as well as using their skills and experience to bolster the team via process improvement, mentorship, and leading by example.
- Create and drive Player combat moves, systems, and tools from initial design through implementation, iteration, and completion
- Create and maintain complex state machine and behavior tree scripting architectures for characters
- Maintain, tune, bugfix, and polish all aspects of character implementation, including animation, visual effects, character controls, behaviors, and other systems, to a polished, shippable quality
- Iteratively work within the set standard for all character asset design, creation, and in-game implementation within the production path as it relates to design, art, VFX, sound, etc.
- Attend and participate in combat-specific discussions concerning combat design and combat design issues
- Attend and participate in production-related discussions concerning relevant feature pipelines and roadmaps
- Value the relationship between gameplay elements within the level and the overall game and all the ways the player can respond to each gameplay element
- Respond and act on playtest and lead feedback with the aim of creating the best experience for all player skill levels
- Drive and create opportunities for value addition within the team and studio
- 4+ years in game development, with at least 2 in a character combat design capacity (creative and technical)
- Significant experience using text-based and visual scripting languages to set-up character logic, debug complex problems, and test work thoroughly
- Self-sufficient in getting to the root of a problem or issue and taking the necessary steps to find solutions
- Basic knowledge of vector math, scripting languages, and code (e.g., XML, C++, Lua)
- Must be able to grasp and work with code-based proprietary tools to implement and troubleshoot assigned characters
- Must have knowledge of competitive products and various gameplay genres, as well as a personal understanding of video game fun with regards to hero combat and enemy design
- Ability to think logically with a strong level of attention to detail; should be able to break down design concepts and analyze them with regards to purpose and intent
- Must possess quality written communication skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts
- Must be able to professionally communicate and work with other members of the game production team.
- Must be able to speak to and discuss, in depth, hero combat systems, mechanics, and enemies in one or more 3rd person melee action RPGs
- Candidates who are fluent with the combat design choices, systems, mechanics, and enemies in God of War (2018) and God of War Ragnarök (2022) are preferred
Please refer to our Candidate Privacy Notice for more information about how we process your personal information, and your data protection rights.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.