Import / Export & Customs Compliance Operations Specialist - EMEA (Heather Luikart)
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
You will be joining PlayStation's Global Supply Chain Organisation, working within the Global Logistics Group. In this role, you will have the opportunity to build a comprehensive understanding of Global Logistics & Supply Chain operations and be a part of defining and improving the Compliance activities that are fundamental to good operating practices.
This role will be the centralised point of contact providing expert knowledge, technical guidance and process support on all matters relating to ensuring ongoing regulatory compliance, with a core focus on customs and trade compliance, including identification and mitigation of new or emerging compliance risk areas within the EMEA, primarily responsible for all Import & Export processes and activities. The role requires the ability to help create, then further develop, and operate to a centralized compliance framework, which will deliver solutions that improve the transport and fulfilment capabilities of the supply chain, supporting key internal partners and teams, in alignment with business requirements.
What you’ll be doing:
- Understanding of EMEA (Europe, Middle East & Africa) import/export regulations including the movement of Dual Use and controlled goods, with a main focus on Europe and the UK.
- Support and audit our partners in the maintaining and organising of import/export documentation, including customs declarations, invoices, bills of lading, and certificates of origin, in conjunction with our GTC partners such as our Warehousing providers and the corporate compliance teams. Ensure Service providers complete Customs & Excise processes and declarations in a timely and accurate manner per agreed deadlines and SLA’s
- Own the process for, and support in the generation of the correct HTS Commodity Code & Classifications
- Proactively identify business risk associated with movement of goods and work multi-functionally to implement solutions where needed. Maintain a risk and action register flagging all risks to the business & ensure CI’s are automated, systemized, and correct to the regional customs requirements within EMEA.
- Supervise declarations and payments to Customs (or via service providers to Customs) and ensure these are correct, duties and taxes are paid in full, on time and correctly
- Be a process SME regarding Customs & Excise supporting other areas of the business to work efficiently and compliantly. Document, and keep up to date all Trade and Customs procedures – ensure proactive tracking is in place. Identifying, communicating, and implementing updates to import/export processes aligned to the latest regulations. Stay up to date with changes in customs regulations and tariffs, ensuring that all imports and exports are aligned with applicable laws. Ensure any Import or Export License needs are met and managed accordingly
- Support the processing of Freight Payments, whilst developing a framework for Freight Payment checks and balances, through a standardized audit process to ensure ongoing compliance
- Ownership of the EMEA Claims process for SIE Operations – Including, but not limited to, the input of claims into a centralised system, and acting as a central touchpoint for the management of the claims process
- Find opportunities, and take the lead on process improvement initiatives related to compliance processes
- Collaborate with customs brokers, government agencies, and business leaders to ensure smooth customs processes and timely clearance of goods, where applicable. Including, but not limited to, UK HMRC, NL Douane/Belastingdienst, 3PL’s and Transport Providers, Warehousing Operations, and any number of GTCC partners.
- Collaborate with other Logistics team members on transit time assumptions, building in customs activity needs.
- Identify weekly/daily priority of factory shipments/containers, vendor inbound components, and interplants to Logistic lead(s). Support the transfer of finished goods and supporting components across Sony warehouses
What we’re looking for:
- 6+ years of experience in any of the areas of Import and Export Operations, Customs Compliance, Trade Compliance, and International Logistics & Transportation
- Technical understanding of import/export control procedures (particularly European & UK regulations), including the use and applications of incoterms, international payment practices, shipping line, airline and port ways of working, customs including FTAs/EPAs, customs related documentation, insurance (Marine, Cargo, and liability), export controls and sanctions procedures.
- Strong generalist Compliance Program experience.
- Broad knowledge of Logistics & Transportation services, Operations, Analytics, and multi-functional supply chain interactions, Logistics Solutions Providers and relationships, and global fulfilment operations.
- Proven experience of leading and influencing teams in developing and deploying multi-functional improvement projects, with a focus on customs compliance activities deployed in line with well-developed strategic and tactical roadmaps.
- Knowledge of Logistics & Operational practices within consumer-packaged good industry or video game industry
- Level 4+ Certificate in Customs Compliance, or other applicable customs and trade compliance certifications and diplomas are desirable. Where not completed yet, the role holder will need to be prepared to go through any applicable training courses identified by the leadership team.
- Knowledge and Experience of TAPA TSR1 Security Standards
- Basic Understanding, or any experience of, Dangerous Goods shipping regulations
- Working experience utilising ERP systems (SAP GUI, SAP Fiori, SAP Business Objects, SAP IBP), and working experience utilising Transport Management Platforms.
- BS/BA or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Lean Six Sigma, or Lean Practitioner
Please refer to our Candidate Privacy Notice for more information about how we process your personal information, and your data protection rights.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.